FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 21, 2015 10:52 pm

I was just pondering about the automated ships in another thread and I thought of something interesting that could be done:

Pirate automated ships! Maybe some pirate sectors have automated ships but painted with purple markings. The rogues certainly have Stealth ships, Rebel ships, etc, so why not some automated drones? Maybe they were sold to them or stolen and reprogrammed.

The same perhaps could be done for the Federation. You encounter a friendly Federation automated ship (or cruiser) which gives you supplies or a mission.

Also, why not Pirate-painted Rebel Corvettes and Cruisers? Any lore-friendly way to explain how the pirates got the Rebel Fighters and Riggers but not the bigger ships? The Rebels don't allow heavy equipment to fall into the hands of scavengers?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu May 21, 2015 11:11 pm

stylesrj wrote:Also, why not Pirate-painted Rebel Corvettes and Cruisers? Any lore-friendly way to explain how the pirates got the Rebel Fighters and Riggers but not the bigger ships? The Rebels don't allow heavy equipment to fall into the hands of scavengers?

That was my thinking behind this, I did not want the pirates to appear too powerful. Their Cruisers are sweet rides, but still can't really match player or Rebel cruisers.

stylesrj wrote:Pirate automated ships! Maybe some pirate sectors have automated ships but painted with purple markings. The rogues certainly have Stealth ships, Rebel ships, etc, so why not some automated drones? Maybe they were sold to them or stolen and reprogrammed.

The same perhaps could be done for the Federation. You encounter a friendly Federation automated ship (or cruiser) which gives you supplies or a mission.

Yeah, this could be done and it would add some nice bits of storry around it. Then again the overall amount of auto-encounters should remain roughly as is for balance reasons, so these events would be scarce in the end. So I'm not sure whether this is worth the effort.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri May 22, 2015 1:12 am

Sleeper Service wrote:That was my thinking behind this, I did not want the pirates to appear too powerful. Their Cruisers are sweet rides, but still can't really match player or Rebel cruisers.

That's why only the best pirates get the best ships and you'd rarely encounter a Pirate Rebel Cruiser compared to the 15 million times you face a Rebel Cruiser when you're out of fuel.

Yeah, this could be done and it would add some nice bits of storry around it. Then again the overall amount of auto-encounters should remain roughly as is for balance reasons, so these events would be scarce in the end. So I'm not sure whether this is worth the effort.

Why not random hulls for the auto-ship encounters? Sort of like how the Dread Pirate Tuco could be flying a Slug fighter one day, then a Rebel Rigger the next.

But then the problem arises in that it might try to escape and why would a pirate automated ship want to warn the Rebels, unless it defaults back to its original programming from all the damage
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 am

stylesrj wrote:Pirate automated ships! Maybe some pirate sectors have automated ships but painted with purple markings. The rogues certainly have Stealth ships, Rebel ships, etc, so why not some automated drones? Maybe they were sold to them or stolen and reprogrammed.

I agree with the notion that pirates may seem a bit too powerful with automated ships.

What I would like to see is a few rare federation colored auto-ships. I had the idea that either the Federation has a very limited fleet of their own auto-ships, and/or they captured a Rebel auto-ship and reprogrammed and repainted it, and/or the Rebels painted the auto-ship in the Federation colors to ambush unsuspecting Feds like you! (Though this is a clear violation of war customs!).

I know I've seen at least a couple really good auto-ships re-colored in orange and white. ;)
Lunar

Postby Lunar » Sat May 23, 2015 1:41 am

I got to the crystal sector for the first time, but as soon I got there, I got the 6 legged aliens event where you try to communicate with them. I got the engi out of that, but the game crashed. I tried continuing, but it just caused it to crash again.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 am

A suggestion for a future update, assuming it hasn't been suggested already. How about a really expensive 4th level for the cloning bay, which preserves a unit's skill levels? Or make level 3 do this, either way, the skill penalty sucks. I want an immortal crew, damnit!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat May 23, 2015 9:28 am

Klokinator wrote:A suggestion for a future update, assuming it hasn't been suggested already. How about a really expensive 4th level for the cloning bay, which preserves a unit's skill levels? Or make level 3 do this, either way, the skill penalty sucks. I want an immortal crew, damnit!

That's not possible via game mechanics. A level 4 Clone Bay means instant clones and full heal each jump.
Who cares about the skill penalty when your guys can just keep coming back the instant their body hits the floor?
Biohazard063

Re: Artillery

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Epsilon Carinae wrote:Suggestion: Make artillery a separate mod (by separate, I mean not part of the main mod, but a module). Because I am not a normal person.

Just patch this in at the end. Should make it so the artillery system no longer shows up in stores. Enemies can probably still have it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11zyw9nu4q3fm ... r.ftl?dl=0

For those willing to know what it is, it's just a data folder with a blueprints.xml.append in with the following code:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="systemBlueprint" name="artillery">
   <mod-overwrite:rarity>0</mod-overwrite:rarity>
</mod:findName>

This works right?
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Sun May 24, 2015 4:43 am

Too bad about the L4 clonebay :(

I had a question about retroactive mods. I have the Non-EL enemy mod currently being used, if I repatch and leave it out, will enemies on my current run be able to use the randomized weapons, or will I have to restart a new run?