FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.201/Inf 1.201/EL 0.9 (beta)

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

I merely keep them there for consistency in the events. Their existence becomes kind of arbitrary considering that you can immediately jump on to the next sector. Being able to explore every last beacon would be nice, but being able to get rid of the Rebels forever would contradict the entire narrative of a lot of events.
Saizew

Postby Saizew » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 pm

ShiggityDiggity wrote:Do you think it would be possible to add, like in the original infinite space mod, an option that would forever remove the threat of the rebel fleet. I'm somewhat of a completionist and I love being able to explore as much as I can of each sector. Maybe a third option at the jump beacons that would cost, say, 75 fuel and put you forever out of their range.

Aside from that, awesome mod, lots of fun.

In my humble opinion, it is exacly THIS mixture of infinite exploring and pressure by the advancing rebel fleet, that is the charme of this Mod.

I disliked the vanilla roguelike/arcade concept of FTL, so i was glad to find the original Infinite Space-Mod then.
With the release of the Advanced Edition, i was eager looking for another Infinite Space Mod and found gladly the Captain's Edition one. And hopefuly with no disrespect to the author of the original one, i'll stay with the CE which is in many ways superior.

We will see, what Infinite Space 2.0 will bring up...
Saizew

Postby Saizew » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Two things i noticed, but can't judge whether bug or feature 'cause maybe i haven't progressed enough or it's a matter of the level of difficulty:

Haven't seen/met any slugs in shops or any events which gives you new crewmembers.
Also, the number of enemy crewmen aboard enemy ships seems to be slightly to low to me.
allanpike

Postby allanpike » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah, it seems the problem was the most recent BPaB. All working now, thanks!
rickashay19

Postby rickashay19 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey guys. First let me say I'm loving this mod lately. I was one of those people who tried everything to try and force infinite space and captains edition to work together and play nice. Now that infinite mode is supported I've poored a ton more time into this.

One thing that's really bugging me, and I'm not sure if this is intended, is the lack of shops. I'll usually go either 2 or 3 sectors to find a single shop, never seen a double. I even got the sector scanner augment to make sure I wasn't just me missing something, but ya. I frequently get sectors with no shop. This is over several runs and a lot of hours consistently. I've had very frustrating runs where I didn't die in some amazing fight or taking on a ship I wasn't ready for, it was a slow and painful 3-4 sector death where I would lose hull 1 at a time and keep limping along with no shops. Really annoying to have like 300 scrap sitting around and dieing just because the rng didn't feel like I should have a shop. Good luck ever trading...

Just wondering if this is intended or if there's a way around it.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:01 pm

I indeed intended shops to be scarce in deep space. You can travel to regular sectors if you need some guaranteed shops while building up at last. In the endgame, the absence of shops also keeps the pressure up. Bear in mind that guaranteed shops would make deep space even easier. Even right now you can head straight for the exit to increase your chance of finding one. I don't like the probability that there might be no shop for several sectors, but still, guaranteed shops would not be that great either IMO...
Qli

Postby Qli » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Suggestions on how to get going with Stealth B and Zoltan B in the mod? I don't seem to be able to handle them
Estel

Postby Estel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:16 pm

ShiggityDiggity wrote: I'm somewhat of a completionist and I love being able to explore as much as I can of each sector.

Apart from what others said, it *is* possible to, now and then, explore every beacon of a sector in CE Infinite. You just need to have tools that delay rebel fleet (multitude of options possible, with varying cost), and some luck with hitting empty beacons (or mercs/friendly pirate stations ;) ) at ~correct time. I had many games, where I explored last beacon and jumped to exit just before rebel fleet, and even some, where after exploring everything I even had two or 3 "unused" jumps.

Qli wrote:Suggestions on how to get going with Stealth B and Zoltan B in the mod? I don't seem to be able to handle them

Hehe, I just got blown up 8 times in a row with Stealth B. I play this ship only when my kid is asleep, don't want him to hear all the curses ;) Seriously though, it require you to:

1. Get a little lucky and early run mostly into opponents with slow weapons (calibrating it for max damage is crucial, and taking shield as beginning of beam too, as it increased damage for rest of the beam), so you can blow them up before they shot or just after their first salvo. Upgrading cloak to 3 ASAP may help to blow them up before they shot. Then, either buy teleporter and have some nice boarding parties, or buy shields and play normally with additional advantage of cloak. Unless you got some nice stuff from events/shops, that could be used creatively - adapt!

2. Using your long-range scanners, avoid danger (choose beacons that doesn't have ship mark) as long as you need - you have chance for some events, blue options due to equip, etc, that will give you scrap. Of course, you will still have to fight sometimes. Upgrading cloak to 3 helps here too, and engines as 2nd priority (to give you a chance for quick escapes, f you're in dirty situation). Overall, it's very important to judge at the start of a fight if you're for win or for the run, as you will be a little energy starved at the beginning - having *more* engines than you can power by a factor of 3 or 4 bars allow you to de-power glaive (i don't need to write about de-powering oxygen, right?) and assign power to engines, when fast retreat is needed. As in point 1, stay alive until you get some nice stuff, or buy weapons, shield, or teleporter.

Al of the above doesn't even consider some really inventive new opportunities given by AE - like buying (quite cheap) mind control and using it, as you have sensors 2 from the start. Manning your sensor room gives you temporary sensors 3, which will help to judge when to cloak against beam weapons, if you're not fluent with detecting it via weapon's picture.

Overall, again, be inventive! I haven't written anything about Zoltan B, as it's quite easy ship, actually. Just abuse your zoltan shield, run when facing multi ions/beams, and buy regular shield ASAP. Or teleporter. Unless you find some stuff in events or shop and invent other tactic :)

/Estel
spudcosmic

Postby spudcosmic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Okay, I know I should have posed this earlier, but I have an odd bug report from 1.2, but I wasn't able to even go on the forum because of the 404 error so I'm posting it now.

Just take a look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/8TXBmbQ.jpg

The image is a bit of a WTF moment, but I'll explain it as best as possible. So while playing the engi B during 1.2 and troubleshooting that earsplitting noise that was driving me mad, I decided to try saving and quitting and re joining the game. I did this right after I made an AI at an empty beacon, and when I continued the save, it opened up the AI made message again, but this time it was also the options for the on board assembly line? I didn't make any of the products and the game resumed as normal and I didn't get a second AI. Weird.

Edit: I just noticed in 1.201 I was dodging attacks form a scouting drone, and that doesn't seem intentional.
Last edited by spudcosmic on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qli

Postby Qli » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 am

Estel wrote:
ShiggityDiggity wrote: I'm somewhat of a completionist and I love being able to explore as much as I can of each sector.

Apart from what others said, it *is* possible to, now and then, explore every beacon of a sector in CE Infinite. You just need to have tools that delay rebel fleet (multitude of options possible, with varying cost), and some luck with hitting empty beacons (or mercs/friendly pirate stations ;) ) at ~correct time. I had many games, where I explored last beacon and jumped to exit just before rebel fleet, and even some, where after exploring everything I even had two or 3 "unused" jumps.

Qli wrote:Suggestions on how to get going with Stealth B and Zoltan B in the mod? I don't seem to be able to handle them

Hehe, I just got blown up 8 times in a row with Stealth B. I play this ship only when my kid is asleep, don't want him to hear all the curses ;) Seriously though, it require you to:

1. Get a little lucky and early run mostly into opponents with slow weapons (calibrating it for max damage is crucial, and taking shield as beginning of beam too, as it increased damage for rest of the beam), so you can blow them up before they shot or just after their first salvo. Upgrading cloak to 3 ASAP may help to blow them up before they shot. Then, either buy teleporter and have some nice boarding parties, or buy shields and play normally with additional advantage of cloak. Unless you got some nice stuff from events/shops, that could be used creatively - adapt!

2. Using your long-range scanners, avoid danger (choose beacons that doesn't have ship mark) as long as you need - you have chance for some events, blue options due to equip, etc, that will give you scrap. Of course, you will still have to fight sometimes. Upgrading cloak to 3 helps here too, and engines as 2nd priority (to give you a chance for quick escapes, f you're in dirty situation). Overall, it's very important to judge at the start of a fight if you're for win or for the run, as you will be a little energy starved at the beginning - having *more* engines than you can power by a factor of 3 or 4 bars allow you to de-power glaive (i don't need to write about de-powering oxygen, right?) and assign power to engines, when fast retreat is needed. As in point 1, stay alive until you get some nice stuff, or buy weapons, shield, or teleporter.

Al of the above doesn't even consider some really inventive new opportunities given by AE - like buying (quite cheap) mind control and using it, as you have sensors 2 from the start. Manning your sensor room gives you temporary sensors 3, which will help to judge when to cloak against beam weapons, if you're not fluent with detecting it via weapon's picture.

Overall, again, be inventive! I haven't written anything about Zoltan B, as it's quite easy ship, actually. Just abuse your zoltan shield, run when facing multi ions/beams, and buy regular shield ASAP. Or teleporter. Unless you find some stuff in events or shop and invent other tactic :)

/Estel

My main problem with Stealth B is that I am sometimes able to reach sector 3 / 4 but without finding a single weapon, not to mention the inability to pay the scrap in order to have more weapon energy.

Everybody keeps suggesting me to buy a teleporter on every ship, but the times when I actually find one when I ca afford it are very rare.

Also, the Pernach seems an horrible weapon to me.