FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Estel

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.25/Inf 1.25/EL 1.25b

Postby Estel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Isdariel wrote:It is very non-interactive. When I get hit 2-3 times in a row in the same room by a shield-passing anti-crew gun at least I got time to react and can send him to the medbay.

I meant the situation, when you get hit 3 times in a row by anti-crew laser that shots such volley in one shot, and it's enough to kill your crew member ;) It's rare, but can happen. Even more often, you get hit twice, send your crew member to medbay immediately via auto-pause, and he got shot by rest of the volley on his way there. Not very interactive either (keep him where he is - he may get shot again, move him - he may get shot as well), but happens.

With the event, at least, you have fair chance (50%, I guess) to NOT lose your crew member, by reminding him of what you were through together.

/Estel
Isdariel

Postby Isdariel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

stylesrj wrote:Unless you end up in a Singularity your Long Range Scanners couldn't detect and you run out of fuel.
Yes, I get it, there is always the possibility of some freak occurance happening that can bring you down.

estel wrote:I meant the situation, when you get hit 3 times in a row by anti-crew laser that shots such volley in one shot, and it's enough to kill your crew member
Oh well, I've played CE only for a few runs so far. Wasn't aware that some anti-person weapons could kill a crewmember in a single volley (sounds pretty strong in the hands of a player... :) ). Still, I'd argue that psychologically speaking, even when the chances of both things happening would be identical, you would have a better response of "wow look at that, my enemy got SO lucky!" rather than "okay, I got a random event killing me... >_<". Two reasons for that:
1. You can quite easily calculate the chances of 1/2/3 random shots hitting the same location, giving you the solace of an "extremely lucky" shot at least.
2. When encountering the event, you are already in bad luck. Your brain processes the odds "after the fact" and doesn't process how supposedly absurdly low the chances of encountering this event were. It just notices that now, that you've got it, you're probably losing a crewmember.

But in all honesty, if everyone is fine with it I don't want to push my personal opinion further.

One last note concerning statistics though: ;)
Estel wrote:Even more often, you get hit twice, send your crew member to medbay immediately via auto-pause, and he got shot by rest of the volley on his way there.
The chance for that should be identical to three shots hitting the same room. Unless you're counting on-the-edge-between-two-rooms-and-can-be-hit-in-both (I'm not sure if that's possible).
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Lose by combat always feels more interactive than lose by event anyhow: Even against some pretty stark combo I can try to stall and jump away.

Unless you end up in a Singularity your Long Range Scanners couldn't detect and you run out of fuel.

That's another weird one. Perhaps the Black Hole event could get some blue options for the 3 scanner augments. You could say something instead like "Luckily you were able to detect the Black Hole and re-calibrate your jump to en up right outside it's gravitational pull."? :?

About the crew betrayal event... The only ship that starts with 1 crew member is the Vortex, and if you use the CE Ship loadouts then you can quickly get an infinite amount of AI Holograms for additional crew. So, the crew betrayal event will rarely cost you the game, and there are plenty of events that remove a random crew. It would not make sense to be able to choose which crew member you lose. There are some events that are good "Holy Crap! a weapon is just floating in space!" and some that are just plain awful like this one. So, I agree that there could maybe be one or two additional blue options to keep your crew (mind control/bribe/other), but that is it. I don't really have more to say on that subject. :roll:
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Some interesting blue options that where suggested here.

I find that the traitor event appears much more interactive if seen in a greater context. Rebel spies aboard your ship will never reveal themselves unless you travel to territories where the Rebels have a strong presence and they can call reinforcements. If you take that into account they become a controllable risk that comes with venturing to certain sectors. And as Rockman pointed out: The event alone can not cost you the run. If you lost crew or did not focus on gaining crew then something went wrong beforehand, and the event will ultimately punish that if you take further risks by exposing yourself to it.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Some interesting blue options that where suggested here.

I find that the traitor event appears much more interactive if seen in a greater context. Rebel spies aboard your ship will never reveal themselves unless you travel to territories where the Rebels have a strong presence and they can call reinforcements.

I had no idea about it, I thought that it's just low-chance thing that may happen at every beacon. Kudos for the idea, sounds very reasonable.

/Estel
Giscard

Postby Giscard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:48 am

For some reason, weapons cannot make a breach and a fire. Even with 100% chances. Details here: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26399

All advice appreciated.

-Giscard ;)
If u want a mod from me email me.
They are not compatible with
AE btw
They are:
Maxed out your face! (This is a mod when all the starting ships are maxed, but so are the enemy ships!)
I also have a few extra ship layouts if you want!
Isdariel

Postby Isdariel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Some interesting blue options that where suggested here.

I find that the traitor event appears much more interactive if seen in a greater context. Rebel spies aboard your ship will never reveal themselves unless you travel to territories where the Rebels have a strong presence and they can call reinforcements.
Thats a good point indeed. I shall avoid strong rebel sectors with Engi-B from now on. :)
off_line

Postby off_line » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Almost every time, once I try use combat augment (like a Firewall Plating), game is crushed without error report.
Also, I cannot launch game with included Endless Loot Addon. May be, I'm dummy, but I can't find in OP-post link to download Non-EL Enemy Loadouts Addon (This is necessary, right?)

Google Translate is so translate.
Sorry for my engrish, english is not my language.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Can you submit screenshots of some of the events before the game crashes? That would be helpfull. Thanks for reporting this so far.

I recommend your read through the troubleshooting section in the first section, concerning your EL problem this is most likely relevant:
Game crashes/freezes after or during the loading screen when having the Endless Loot Addon installed:
Your FTL does not have access to enough memory in order to cache all the images EL adds. The solution is to allocate more memory to FTL:

Nicb1 wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
I got Endless Loot 0.97 working by using a program to allow FTL to access more ram.
You just have to apply this fix to the FTLgame.exe and it'll launch without any issues.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
I just tested the game properly after applying this patch and it runs perfectly :)
off_line

Postby off_line » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:29 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Can you submit screenshots of some of the events before the game crashes? That would be helpfull.

Screenshots here:
http://postimg.org/gallery/2ursdgbic/
Last edited by off_line on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my engrish, english is not my language.