FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Acceleratio

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b [New Release: CE Infinite]

Postby Acceleratio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Any deepspace event including PSA I encountered in my first playthrough so far...
Those were
2 rebelfleet catches up
and one planet with artillery events.
Il make sreenshots next time
Maybe I did something wrong on my end since it seems not be happening for others

edit here u go Id like to mention, that I still get the alarm sounds of getting targeted.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Also, just for CE Infinite maybe a new unique sector could be created for the Crystal Homeworlds and have a chance of spawning as a normal sector. That way we can still get the Crystal events and maybe if you have a Crystal Crew at the start of this sector it will still spawn its quest.

Yeah, i think I'll include that, but with the usual requirement of having a crystal crewmen aboard to be able to enter it. The start event for that sector could include the ancient device and would just warp you on to another deep space sector if you have no crystal aboard.

That's a good idea! You don't have to include that though, but it would be interesting since we can't go to the Crystal Sector normally. It could be explained somehow through the text.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 am

10 Prefixes implemented so far; weapon count above 400 already... Sounds much, but some will feel a lot like regular weapons. Others might actually play quite differently.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 am

Estel wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:About the quarantine events and crystal sector... I still think it might be a good idea to disable the most generic sectors so that the normal sectors are only ones like quarantine, AI controlled, or industrial, or homeworlds just to mix things up.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly - you're thinking about disabling civilian events for deep space, alltogether? :shock: It would be a little strange to not encounter "regular" situations there, just a mix of extremes from faction-controlled sectors. It would feel more tense than regular sectors, while we're in some backwater systems (think Outer Rims from SW universe)

I said normal sectors or regular sectors, so it would be the reverse of what you are saying (kinda), deep space would be more easy going. And I wasn't talking about disabling any events, just making each regular sector different from Deep Space, because as I understand it some sectors like the Quarantine and Hazard sectors can't be encountered in Deep Space.

aaaaaa50 wrote:Homeworlds really don't feel any different from a normal (species) sector. I'd also love to see more differences added to them if you feel up to doing it.

I was also saying that the Homeworlds could be (even in base CE), well not necessarily harder (though they could be a little harder and give more rewards potentially), but be more distinct from the generic Rock, Engi, or Mantis sectors for example. Since Sector Extension has such unique sectors.

It's just that when you jump to the next Regular/Normal/10 Fuel sectors it says "This next area may be more difficult than what you've encountered before. I think they actually should be. You shouldn't jump into a normal Civilian Sector because Deep Space already can get more normal events. Deep Space Sector's are generally more relaxed. Then you wouldn't jump to the next normal sector until you were absolutely ready. Mini-Bosses may also be more appropriate here than in Deep Space Sectors, maybe. Does that make sense now?

Estel wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote: And for base CE I do think it would be a good idea to tweak the Homeworld event probabilities. It always bugged me in vanilla. You should encounter only Mantis in Mantis Homeworlds and in my opinion they should have more risk/reward than standard sectors.

Nah, pirates should have chances to appear anywhere, they're like bacteria, you know? ;) Also, there are many lore-friendly vanilla events with factions meet on other's one homeworld (like the rock renegades hiding from Zoltan border police on Zoltan sectors).

And I agree with this statement, pirates could appear anywhere, although i think they should have a lower density in areas under control by the Zoltan (especially), or Engi, or Rock. Mantis and Slugs are mostly pirates anyway, but the generic pirates should still be less dense in these Sectors. If the Federation were still under control of it's sectors there would be no pirates there either because they would be policing those sectors. The other factions are still able to defend themselves from pirates. The only reason pirates are so prominent is because of the war. They would be more prominent on the outer rim of the galaxy to. So replacing some pirate events and other "neutral" events with events that more closely fit the specific Homeworlds would make it feel more like your actually in that faction's Homeworld.

On that note, for the Pirate "Homeworld" that may be added later, I think it would be interesting to add a new "Squid" race. :D PLEASE! They could be the pirate "leaders," manipulating events behind the scenes like the mafia. They would only be mentioned of course, never seen, like actual criminal leaders would. They could loosely organize some of the pirates and take a percentage of their profit in exchange for joining their interstellar alliance of "free men". This would explain why every pirate has a Squid on their ship. I believe one of the cantina events already mentions an alien with tentacles so I think this would be awesome. Give the Slugs some competition. And this could be the thing that makes the Pirate Homeworld unique, they're not so much the Pirate Homeworld as the Squid Homeworld. ;)

EDIT: I was on Sector Three and I jumped into an Engi Sector called The Third Interval. I was going to ask you how you made the normal sectors called "Intervals," but then looking at the code I realized that was just a coincidence. :D A pleasant coincidence.
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:59 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Right now I'm more fascinated of enabling the player to find something about 500 slightly different weapons in the game. I made a huge template for CE Endless Loot and started assigning the tags.

While the idea itself is great, don't call them "legendary" and such things, please :D I think techno names would be nice (like "focused" or even base "piercing" like in vanilla Rock B for things piercing shields, etc). Unless you're going to include weapons that are indeed in-lore legendary, complemented by appropriate events (like some super-duper zoltan laser, or whatever) ;)

Also, are you planning to add at least equal variants of weapons that are *worse* than normal counterpart (like, "faulty laser" which leaks power, thus requiring more of it from generator, etc)? I'm a little nervous about making game easier by abundance of modified weapons unavailable to enemies (although, point about having enemy weapons predictable is good, unless, for example, we could implement that sensors lvl 3 "reveal" properties of enemy's weapon - which, I presume, isn't possible to mod).

Acceleratio wrote:edit here u go Id like to mention, that I still get the alarm sounds of getting targeted.

Worksforme in deep space, although, I remember someone reporting sound-only artillery before Infinite was released... I can't remember what was the cause, sorry :(

Russian Rockman wrote:On that note, for the Pirate "Homeworld" that may be added later, I think it would be interesting to add a new "Squid" race. :D PLEASE! They could be the pirate "leaders," manipulating events behind the scenes like the mafia. They would only be mentioned of course, never seen, like actual criminal leaders would. They could loosely organize some of the pirates and take a percentage of their profit in exchange for joining their interstellar alliance of "free men". This would explain why every pirate has a Squid on their ship. I believe one of the cantina events already mentions an alien with tentacles so I think this would be awesome. Give the Slugs some competition. And this could be the thing that makes the Pirate Homeworld unique, they're not so much the Pirate Homeworld as the Squid Homeworld. ;)

Hey, I'm not entirely sure that ripping from KotOR so shamelessly is a good idea :D Besides, I always seen those tentacle-skull-bones as "traditional" marking of unassociated pirates in FTL universe/timeline - just like pirates in real world were using skull and bones, while *not* being cultist of some necromancer or whatever skeletal crime lord. For same reason I dislike making them Cthulu cultists. I just doesn't seem right IMHO, to make them so... Corporated ;)

/Estel
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:10 am

Estel wrote:Hey, I'm not entirely sure that ripping from KotOR so shamelessly is a good idea :D Besides, I always seen those tentacle-skull-bones as "traditional" marking of unassociated pirates in FTL universe/timeline - just like pirates in real world were using skull and bones, while *not* being cultist of some necromancer or whatever skeletal crime lord. For same reason I dislike making them Cthulu cultists. I just doesn't seem right IMHO, to make them so... Corporated ;)

I've actually never played KotOR... :roll: No seriously, let the ridicule commence... :|

It's not unheard of for pirates to cooperate with one another. To take down bigger targets they would have to be organized. Sometimes less known pirates could help a more popular pirate in a raid. During the Golden age of Piracy several pirate leaders almost set up their own "country" in the pirate haven of Nassau. And usually pirates live by some laws or code. Not all the pirates have to be unified under one banner though, there could be rival factions of Squids. To me, it makes sense that somebody would be "loosely" organizing the pirates and encouraging people to take up pirating during the chaos of the war.

And I got this idea because EVERY pirate ship has the squid symbol. Not all pirates had skull and crossbones in the real world. In fact, I think there was only one captain with that oh so stereotypical flag. This suggests that they are all part of the same pirate faction. Perhaps we could change some of the pirate ships to have a different logo. That would be interesting.
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 am

Sleeper, now that you have CE Infinite out, I'm going to have to work overtime to top your work :D
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Sleeper,

the new CE infinite release is really great, and your idea with weapon prefixes also sounds very good.

I just had an idea for a new weapon while playing yesterday evening.

Would it be possible to create a beam weapon (like the fire beam), that does no hull or crew damage, but spawns crystal lockdown in every room it hits? That could be called a cryo beam, which is a nice support weapon for boarding ships.

I know that strictly speaking these are crystals, but coincidentally they also look like ice crystals.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 am

Delphi wrote:Hi Sleeper,

the new CE infinite release is really great, and your idea with weapon prefixes also sounds very good.

I just had an idea for a new weapon while playing yesterday evening.

Would it be possible to create a beam weapon (like the fire beam), that does no hull or crew damage, but spawns crystal lockdown in every room it hits? That could be called a cryo beam, which is a nice support weapon for boarding ships.

I know that strictly speaking these are crystals, but coincidentally they also look like ice crystals.

I've thought of that too. I'm sure others also have. It would interesting, and could also do hull breaches. Though it sounds more like something that would come with a custom ship because it's so specialized.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 pm

:?: :!: :!:
OK, so i just went on base CE and put a Crystal Beacon in Sector 8, the Final battle, and I went to the Crystal Sector no problem. :D Then When I jumped out of the Crystal Sector again the game DID NOT CRASH, instead it put me right back into the beginning of the Last Stand!!! I am not sure if this is good for anything, but it is quite interesting. ;)