FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.091

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

The music site that kartoFlane recommended indeed has a nice selection. I found some tracks that more or less match FTL's style. Often the artists also released remixes there, that made putting together explore and battle themes easier than I expected. But it's probably still noticeable that the stuff I choose is not part of the original soundtrack. Ben Prunties stuff is really hight in quality and coherency. It's hard to match that level with music that was not specifically created for a game and not specifically created for FTL itself.

So I'm not entirely satisfied with what I put together to add some additional for CE. That's why this part of the mod is released as another small addon, so you can decide yourself if you want the new music.

The CE Additional Music Addon contains five new music themes, each complete with explore and battle variant. They will play in most of the new sector types added by CE. Some feature quite organic transitions between the situational tracks, others make the transition a little abrupt. The civilian tracks match FTL style quite well IMO, but the stuff for the more dangerous sectors is a little dark and sometimes to fast. Well, its up to you if you want to use it. The addon has to be loaded after CE in order to work.

The main mod has also been updated to fix all this small bugs that where discovered lately. I also got around adding the ice field hazard and reworked AP weapons a little.

- HE: One custom nebula type hazard for Engi sectors added
- BA: One weapon added
- Burst firing light lasers now pierce two layers of shields
- Light scatter lasers cooldown decreased
- Fire Focus Beam reworked
- Heavy Scatter MK II does the correct amount of damage now
- Simurgh missiles rarity slightly decreased
- Some zero power systems in various ships blueprints fixed
- Systems disrupted by enemy combat augments should now come online again after the fight
- Rock Cargo Ship is no longer crewed by boring humans

CE Additional Music Addon 1.0 released
- Some creative commons music for most of the new sectors added, all tracks include explore and battle variants
- Custom title screen added

A Flaming Pineapple wrote:Are there any weapons/augments/drones etc. that one should grab if they have the chance? I like all the new stuff that CE adds, but I feel that a lot of the weapons aren't very good or useful. Scatter laser is cool, but why not just go with a normal laser that can damage systems as well?

CEs weapons come in all tiers. Not every weapon is designed to be "as good" as certain other other existing weapons. One could also ask why not use a Glaive Beam instead of a Pike Beam? Usually the answer would be: cause not always both are available. IMO, FTL is about making best use of what you get. Usefulness is relative and situational and also depends on the players ability to adopt. And discovering how to make good use of what you get is part of the fun. ;)
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Hey Sleeper, I just wanted to let you know that there are some users on these forums that have created some pretty good music for the game. I know at least one user "Kieve," author of Turning the Tide (KRSMW on YouTube) has created a TON of AMAZING custom music for their mod. Perhaps you could ask for permission to use their custom tracks? I'm sure they'd like the publicity. And I'd scour YouTube as well for custom FTL music. There's some pretty good stuff there made by fans that you can probably get a link to.

Mr. Mister wrote:Yeah, music for FTL outside these parts seems rather hard to find. Only one relevant result in Newgroudns, a "remake" of Civil Disobedience. Interesting to listen to, but doesn't seem too fit for in-game (though it sure as hell would be appropiate for the credits).
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/522903

That is actually pretty good for the credits. It matched FTL very well, but a little more beat.

I think it is probably time to include a music add-on for this mod. The game has been out for a year, I'm pretty sure a talented few have done amazing things by now. We just need to search out some of this good music... But I totally support wanting to stick to the original style as much as possible since it is awesome. That is the hard part. Can't wait for the new AE music. I hope they add a good amount of new tracks.
Last edited by ikeelyou300 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah, music for FTL outside these parts seems rather hard to find. Only one relevant result in Newgroudns, a "remake" of Civil Disobedience. Interesting to listen to, but doesn't seem too fit for in-game (though it sure as hell would be appropiate for the credits).
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/522903

Anyway: Remember that doing something with trading on the last sector is still on your to-do list. Currently, shops there sell (and buy) the same as civilian sectors. Since you said that the last sector is its own sector type, you can make custom events for it, can't you?

I was thinking you could make it so they don't sell trade goods, but they buy pretty much anything at normal price, except for federation contraband: if you bring them that, you get a good weapon instead.
KJ4VOV

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.09d

Postby KJ4VOV » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:25 pm

kartoFlane wrote:
ikeelyou300 wrote:I think husks has more than 1 meaning.

Indeed it does.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/husk
"A shell or outer covering, especially when considered worthless."
The word "husk" is very often used to describe a derelict ship in sci-fi.

I'm a farm boy (or at least I was as a kid) and husk to me always meant corn husks. I guess it could stay but it still grates a bit when I see it.

Hmmm... Corn... grating...

Might be time for a bowl of cheddar popcorn :mrgreen:
Due to the rising cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.
A Flaming Pineapple

Postby A Flaming Pineapple » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 am

I may be wrong again, but i dont think the maul beam does the right amount of damage either. it says 5 but i think it only does 4. it probably does 5 but ships i fight usually have 1 shield so it might be doing 4 cause of that.

And am i just never getting it or does the zoltan socializing situation not have any benefit? I ask it alot but all it says is how do you feel or what is happiness. I know the mantis can give you extra crew, the AI gives tips, human gives a quest or map reveal, rock can patch ship or make missiles, and engi can give drone parts. But i have never gotten any benefit out of the zoltan.
Elemental_Chaos69

Postby Elemental_Chaos69 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 am

I have tried to install this mod several times but it crashes after loading it shows title screen but just freezes and corrupts my whole game can you or someone make a video or picture tutorial of how you install it just to be sure if I am doing it wrong
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 am

A Flaming Pineapple wrote:I may be wrong again, but i dont think the maul beam does the right amount of damage either. it says 5 but i think it only does 4. it probably does 5 but ships i fight usually have 1 shield so it might be doing 4 cause of that.

So, whats wrong? \every beam weapon's damage is reduced by 1, for every shield it passes through. It was like that since ancient vanilla times, when dinosaurs walked the [strike]ship corridors[/strike] earth.

/Estel
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am

Elemental_Chaos69 wrote:I have tried to install this mod several times but it crashes after loading it shows title screen but just freezes and corrupts my whole game can you or someone make a video or picture tutorial of how you install it just to be sure if I am doing it wrong

Try redownloading, somehow it happens quite often that the download was erroneous.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:55 am

Maul and Fokus Fire Beam tooltips are currently a little off. Maul does indeed only deals 4 damage. Will be fixed in the next updated.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I have one general wish:
I would love to meet more ships and less auto-scouts. I find fighting the latter almost always less exciting
(One exception: This bounty hunter dude with his auto-scout ship).