FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Captain Stupendous

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.278c/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Captain Stupendous » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Hey there, I just downloaded the Captain's edition and so far it looks AMAZING! However, I've been experiencing a lot of crashes and have already read through the troubleshooting guide and didn't see anything there that looked like it would fix it. I made sure that the patches were loaded into xmm in the right order (CE resource pack then CE itself), but the game crashes every four or five jumps. I've never been able to make it past sector 1 without experiencing at least two crashes, sometimes in the middle of a battle, but often right after I click the jump button to head to a new encounter. Has this been happening to anyone else? It's really too bad, because from the little I've been able to play it looks like you guys have done a fantastic job of taking the fun of FTL and cranking it to 11. Anyway, I don't really expect you to be able to help a ton from the information I've given, but I figured it would be worth asking. Thanks!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Right I can't really reproduce that. Allocating more memory to FTL might help but I'm not sure. Re-downloading the mod files or reinstalling FTL as well as the mod manager might also work. But yeah, I'm not sure what is causing this, a couple users seem to experience that kind of instability but I can't really determine why. The mod runs stable for the broad majority of users as far as I can tell. :|
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 pm

You mentioned installing CE and the Texture Pack. Was it just those two or was Endless Loot part of this mix as well? Because Endless Loot doesn't run very well (or at all) on most computers.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 pm

I'm still not 100% sure as to exactly how buffing FTL's memory allocation is actually supposed to go. Googling the subject seems to only really offer answers that either involve installing more RAM onto the computer or running FTL with High Priority, and I'm not even sure if you can do that if you choose to run the game from Steam.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:55 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:I'm still not 100% sure as to exactly how buffing FTL's memory allocation is actually supposed to go. Googling the subject seems to only really offer answers that either involve installing more RAM onto the computer or running FTL with High Priority, and I'm not even sure if you can do that if you choose to run the game from Steam.

Which is why I just don't bother with Endless Loot. I'd only be using the third party software or edits or the whatnot for that one thing.

I mentioned before, it's like plugging in a nuclear reactor to power a toaster. I think I'll just have the bread and make a sandwich.
Captain Stupendous

Postby Captain Stupendous » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:09 am

No, I'm not running endless loot. Just the resource pack and the Captain's Edition. If you wanted to try to reproduce something, I could play until it crashed and tell you exactly what happened, but I'm not sure how much that would help, since it crashes so often. Its happened in a lot of different situations: in the middle of a battle, right after I click jump, etc. Maybe its a problem with my computer? Although it handles vanilla ftl just fine. :|
thatonesungod

Postby thatonesungod » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:06 pm

i have been having a problem where i load a run, and hit continue on the first screen and it crashes i just reinstalled ftl
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:memory allocation

Well, the best answer would be "use sane operating system" - aka not windows - and forget about problems ;)

For the case of windoze, though, the problem is that FTL is 32 bit application. By default, it can allocate up to 2GB of memory. Applying a "fix" allow it to allocate up to 3,5GB, simple as that.

/Estel

// Edit
In case of steam, you're also able to allocate more memory to FTL - Steam is just a (very) silly wrapper, that run the target application at the end. So, you "just" need to apply the fix into target application. As for the direct procedure, I won't be able to help, though - I wouldn't touch Steam with a long stick.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:17 pm

Do go on about this.. fix, of sorts. I've heart scant rumours and whatnot about it, but nowhere near enough to be able to assemble something out of it.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 pm

It have been, literally, years since i last touched anything windoze related, so take it with grain of salt. From what I remember, you needed either 64 bit system or 32bit (XP) with PAE enabled. Then, depending on where you encounter problems (during patching phase of SMM or game itself), you do other things. SMM solution is included in the troubleshooting. For FLT itself, you need some kind of wrapper - most likely, application - that handles it for you. Someone found something that worked for him:
viewtopic.php?t=26287

...while others shown concerns about mentioned program's being possible spyware.

I won't be able to help more about this, apart from suggesting extensive googling - from my perspective, using modern (as in - from less than 10-15 years) CPU's with 32 bit systems or windows at all is RIDICULOUS, like - following example used before - like powering a toaster by bicycle dynamo through duck-tape made series of diodes, resistors, and whatsnot, controlled by a fancy capacitive, touch-sensitive Ipad's control panel.

Sure, changing OS just to make FTL mod to work might sound strange, but you wouldn't believe the amount of things that become non-problem and pleasure to use, as soon as you forget about windows existence ;) So it's like switching to use nuclear power plant not only for toaster, but for powering whole country.

/Estel