FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.268/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby NarnKar » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:22 am

You're supposed to patch both of them at once. Every time you hit "patch", the first thing SMM does is completely reset to vanilla, so when you patch FTL Captain's Edition on your second pass, you're also unpatching the resource pack.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:52 am

Make sure you order the mods correctly as well, you can drag the mods in the list to order them. Mods at the top of the list are installed before laws at the bottom of the list. So if you must instal EL loot after CE put it below CE in the list. Etc...
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 am

Congratulations the Captain's Edition Wiki just had its first troll attack! The weapons chart that I started and recently updated got trolled with links and stuff deleted or moved around, etc. It wasn't a bot or anything, they mentioned you by name in something they wrote. Anyway, I don't know who would be pathetic enough ( :arrow: this guy) to try something like that, but thankfully I could restore the thing back to a previous version with about 2 clicks. So... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you should check the rest of the wiki for any potential damage. I changed back all of the changes the troll made to the weapons and artillery articles as well, but I don't know what else they might have done.

Also, if you want to make me an admin of that wiki I would be able to help maintain it because I go there quite a bit and add a few things here and there when I have time. ;)
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmarez

Postby Knightmarez » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:06 pm

you crazy russian! you with your parinoia! lol seriously though thanks for finding that out.

People like you help keep the FTL love alive!
nimde

Postby nimde » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:35 am

Hey there, was wondering if anyone could help me?

I've been installing the mod pack via slipstream and it's worked great, right up until it attempts to patch in Endless loot. At this point the installer freezes and I have to force quit. A dialog pops us claiming java didn't have enough memory. I'm confused - I'm on a 64 bit system, and (to my knowledge) I'm running 64b java. OS X auto-allocates memory as far as I know.

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 on a Macbook Air 4.1; using Java 8 version 25.

Thanks for your time!
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:20 am

nimde wrote:Hey there, was wondering if anyone could help me?

I've been installing the mod pack via slipstream and it's worked great, right up until it attempts to patch in Endless loot. At this point the installer freezes and I have to force quit. A dialog pops us claiming java didn't have enough memory. I'm confused - I'm on a 64 bit system, and (to my knowledge) I'm running 64b java. OS X auto-allocates memory as far as I know.

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 on a Macbook Air 4.1; using Java 8 version 25.

Thanks for your time!

From the OP...
Sleeper Service wrote:Mod manager freezes while processing the Endless Loot Addon:
If you have a 64bit system, make sure that you have the 64bit version of Java installed. If it still does not work or if you have a 32bit system, find out (aka use the search engine of your choice) how to extend Javas heap space. Running the mod manager with extended Java heap space might or might not fix the freezes for you. There is a chance that a future version of SMM will be able to handle EL more reliably.

Game crashes/freezes after or during the loading screen when having the Endless Loot Addon installed:
Your FTL does not have access to enough memory in order to cache all the images EL adds. The solution is to allocate more memory to FTL:
Nicb1 wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
I got Endless Loot 0.97 working by using a program to allow FTL to access more ram.
You just have to apply this fix to the FTLgame.exe and it'll launch without any issues.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threa ... re.112556/
I just tested the game properly after applying this patch and it runs perfectly :)
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Alright, I think I'll drop in with some random little knowledge about enemy power levels, as in, how big their reactors are. It was something that had been confounding me for a while, and after enough ion storm battles, I wanted to examine it in as best detail as I could. And given the amount of power-related oddities that CE has been through, I figured the knowledge might come in useful in the public domain.

From the start. The reactor power statistic in an enemy blueprint relates to the absolute minimum amount of power the ship starts with. For every single upgrade that an enemy ship receives from the game, an additional bar of Reactor power is added. For optional systems, every point of strength it comes with counts as an extra unit of power (so a ship that has an optional Teleporter that spawns at Lv3 at minimum will grant three extra power bars when it is present). Subsystems and their respective upgrades do not seem to have any effect on reactor power (which makes sense since they don't use such power, but I wanted to clarify it for myself).

As such, it'd seem that to get an enemy ship to have just about enough reactor power to turn everything on without any excess (that proves annoying in ion storms) or deficit (which happens commonly with CE turrets and such), the Power stat should be the sum of all the minimums of the not-subsystems that aren't optional, and ships that are staffed by Zoltans may need to be taken into account as well.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:56 pm

@slowy Interesting bit of info there, funny I never thought too much about how enemy power levels work, but I can see that that information is quite important. :idea:

@Sleeper Here is an unrelated random thought I had yesterday when I was doing a run. Since AE came out and added the Vulcan the presence of Auto Lasers in CE has bugged me. Yes, I know they fire about 3 times slower than the Vulcan, but they do not take any time to heat up, which can be a big deal. Not only can you then wreck a ship if you have a quick way of taking down shields, but even if the weapon gets damaged or depowered it does not have to charge back up again like a Vulcan. Before AE, I had no problem with Auto Lasers and they are still one of my favorite weapons, but I can't really come up with a reason after the inclusion of the Vulcan that it takes time to spin up while an Auto Laser is ready to get pew pewing instantly.

So... my point is, what would you think about turning Auto Lasers into scatter lasers? Or rather lasers that don't do system damage? I think that would make them seperated from the Vulcan quite a bit and would make them fit your intended role or "shield-suppressing" lasers a bit better. I love Auto Lasers, they are one of my favorite weapons, but I find that currently if you have any way of taking down the enemy's shields completely for a few seconds they are finished since you can keep damaging their shield system every few seconds. Something that only the Vulcan can do in the vanilla game.

EDIT: Also, here are some things I noticed about other weapons...
  • Hull Smasher lasers do not have a stun or stunChance effect, while Heavy lasers and the Hull Crusher Laser do
  • Similarly, the Hull Missile MkII does not have a stun effect
  • The Charge Missiles also have no stun effect whereas all other missiles seem to
  • The Heavy Laser I has a custom weapon sprite, but the Heavy Laser II uses the vanilla one
  • The Scythe Beam has a fire chance, though its seems like it should have a breach chance instead like the other mining beam, the Flail Beam
  • The Fire Beam MkII does not actually have much more "fire" potential than the Fire Beam MkI. Their length and charge time are exactly the same and the Fire Beam MKII only has %10 more chance of fire? Sure the Fire Beam MkII can do 1 personnel damage, but I don't think it should be used as an Anti-Bio Beam. Personally I just want to set everything on FIRE!
  • The Baton Beam and Bo Beam have the same cost??? Also, the length of the Bo beam is massive compared to the Baton Beam. Also, they don't seem to stun for very long. The Neural Stunner MkII can stun for 10 seconds for the same power cost and can pierce shields.

Also VoV played Captains Edition today. It was well received.
One bug I remember was that one of the new civilian Slug ships had its hull image not aligned correctly, it was a Slug Pleasure-Cruiser.
And the video of the stream that is saved on twitch has part of the audio muted again because it was found to be copyrighted, that issue is getting annoying...
Last edited by Russian Rockman on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 16 times in total.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 pm

The interesting thing about it though was that I had a testmod that caused a specially-designed ship to spawn at the start of every sector, and I used Lv4 Sensors to detect their power levels. A ship that has all of its minimum system stats at the maximum and cannot upgrade any further will never get any kind of increase to its reactor capacity, no matter what sector it spawns in. I still have no solid stats on just how many upgrades are applied to ships in each sector: that would require quite a lot of test runs, and I'll probably leave that to when I can get back into this business full-time.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:57 pm

While investigating a bug in my editor, I noticed that the Endless Loot blueprint generator creates enemy ship variants for player ships... It's not really a big thing, but could save over a hundred blueprints from being needlessly generated by simply ignoring blueprints starting with "PLAYER_SHIP_".
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL