FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rex4

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.207b/Inf 1.207/EL 0.97

Postby rex4 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Please upload captain edition to something like dropbox too, mediafire being really slow right now.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:18 pm

:shock: :shock: :o
10 pages since I last posted only one day ago?! I guess that's what happens when you make such a big update to EL. I said a long time ago that this and CE:Infinite are gonna need their own topics. :lol:

So I finally go back into testing some stuff and unfortunately, I didn't come back with much positive information. :cry:
I did find out a lot about what we CANT do, not so much what we CAN do... And I tried to find workaround for some issues, but no such luck. :( Anyway I'll try to list a few of the things I found, but I'm probably forgetting something...

• The drone_targetable tag does not work on LASER type weapons. They will always get shot down by Defense II drones regardless of whether or not they have this tag. So it is not possible to make completely uninterceptible projectiles. :( (I HEARD that the tag works for Missiles, basically making them lasers, but I haven't tested that.)
  • Zoltan Shields do indeed absorb fire only from weapons that actually do <damage> or are ions and beams. It does not matter if a weapon has system or personnel damage, they will go through Z-Shields unless they do hull damage.(And her's something interesting... If a weapon does negative -# damage it will actually repair the Zoltan shield instead of repairing the enemy hull, not sure if that's useful to know, but interesting).
  • I can re-confirm that you cannot change one damn thing about SHIELD drones. :cry: If you give it a new image it appears correctly in your inventory, but still looks like the default drone when it is deployed. It does not even seem like you can make different shield drones have a lower cooldown or anything, but you can make them fly faster for some reason...
  • "fake" artillery for flak guns do not deplete shields. In fact I don't think they do anything. They seem to be for aesthetic purposes only.

Based on the testing I did though. As far as CE is concerned. I have just a few suggestions.

For the Zoltan shield penetration "issue" with flash-bangs, light lasers, and plasma weapons, you can do either 1 of 2 things. 1.) You can give them damage (obviously not really an option) or 2.) officially make their shield penetration a feature. So no one is confused you should say in the actual weapons description that they are not blocked by Zoltan Shields. I'm sure there could be some actual explanation for why, but you don't have to say why.

For the Shield Drones it is very unfortunate that you couldn't use your images. I was thinking that you could instead make them distraction drones with their own personal shield. They could just absorb (or "reflect") fire from the enemy and keep your other drones safe. I noticed though that the images actual work for at least the display in the store and ship menu. I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe you could give try the different varieties of AP drones their own image even if they don't show up in battle? Also, I personally wouldn't mind if you gave the Overcharge+ a different image even if it doesn't show up in battle.

You said that the reason scatter missiles and such are lasers is because they need to be animated? But it seems that missiles are animated with their engine trail. i think that what you did with the rarity should fix the issue of enemies spawning with only missiles, but maybe you might want to try just making them all missiles and giving cloak missiles the drone_targetable tag.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 pm

So, did anyone yet manage to kill the boss?

I maxed out two ships, and both time died in phase 2 without more then scratching the boss. Both setups was perfect (as i thought), i got through entire regions without suffer from a single hull hit.
Stuff like Heavy Ion II + Ion Blast II + Halbert Beam + Weapon Pre-Igniter.

And yes, getting killed in minutes after hours of playing is more then a bit frustrating. The changed room layout makes boarding impossible with anything below 4 skilled mantis. Once i lost even them because the boss decided to destroy all 3 levels of my teleporter - lovely.
The defense drone in phase 2 + the changed room layout breaks the players nick. Constant missile and ion fire with no way to shut it down plus the boss' defense drone which intercepts half to 9/10 of your theoretical damage.

Also, this 1 power bar drone which is supposed to destroy enemy drones with a counter-barrage shot (or something) never hits the enemy drones. Never.Its shots are way to slow.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:Also, this 1 power bar drone which is supposed to destroy enemy drones with a counter-barrage shot (or something) never hits the enemy drones. Never.Its shots are way to slow.

I've managed to beat the boss on hard with 4 different ships so far. Most recently I beat the boss with 2 Pegasus missiles, a weapon pre-igniter, and and the Explosive Replicator. :D

Then before that I was playing the Nisos with which I got THREE Scrap Recovery Arms, TWO Glaive Beams, and I got through Shields with level 3 Hacking. :lol: Destroyed the Boss in One Volley!!!

Those Anti-Drones really do suck. I need to see if the CE ones are better.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:...THREE Scrap Recovery Arms

I have to assume you engineered these? Cause that is not such a great feat. ;) :D In case you didn't: Yes, you could have engineered them. ;)

Russian Rockman wrote: I said a long time ago that this and CE:Infinite are gonna need their own topics. :lol:

That would open the issue of having people post stuff in the wrong thread, so I'll abstain for that for now.

Russian Rockman wrote:For the Zoltan shield penetration "issue" with flash-bangs, light lasers, and plasma weapons, you can do either 1 of 2 things. 1.) You can give them damage (obviously not really an option) or 2.) officially make their shield penetration a feature. So no one is confused you should say in the actual weapons description that they are not blocked by Zoltan Shields. I'm sure there could be some actual explanation for why, but you don't have to say why.

I already changed the description of the actual shield:

Code: Select all

<desc>Uses excess energy from FTL engine outbursts shield your ship from certain weapons. Indicates you command a official Zoltan ship; enabling diplomatic solutions.</desc>

Informing the player in each weapon that does pierce the Zoltan shields about its behavior seems kind of arbitrary. There is also very limited description space now with the classic tooltips gone, so we actually have no real room for that.

Russian Rockman wrote:You said that the reason scatter missiles and such are lasers is because they need to be animated? But it seems that missiles are animated with their engine trail. i think that what you did with the rarity should fix the issue of enemies spawning with only missiles, but maybe you might want to try just making them all missiles and giving cloak missiles the drone_targetable tag.

There are no animated vanilla missiles. All the variants with different frames for engine trails are from the original diversity mod and they never worked as intended. You can easily test this by changing a swarm launcher to MISSILES type. Their projectiles will no longer animate (and they also will be flipped, but that is another thing...)

Concerning the problems with EL 0.97 beta:
It seems there is a chance that this will simply not work for everybody, but I will still try to make a new version that is based on FTL 1.5.10 so we can see how that works out. The problems might be related to different stuff people might have in their SMM cache or pre FTL 1.5.10 bits that ended up into EL 0.97.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:...THREE Scrap Recovery Arms

I have to assume you engineered these? Cause that is not such a great feat. ;) :D In case you didn't: Yes, you could have engineered them. ;)

That was actually on vanilla. ;) :D I recommend the 2 glaive beams + lvl 4 artillery + lvl 3 hacking to anyone that gets pissed at FTL. It was amazing. Both hose were no mods, no cheating. Just extreme luck!!!

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote: I said a long time ago that this and CE:Infinite are gonna need their own topics. :lol:

That would open the issue of having people post stuff in the wrong thread, so I'll abstain for that for now.

That was a joke. Note the: :lol: .

Sleeper Service wrote:I already changed the description of the actual shield:

Alright that's finr. You could make it really specific and say weapons that damage your hull if you want. Also, glad it doesnt say FTL engines are the "only" weapons that can recharge the Z-Shield anymore. ;) If that is the actual description from the .xml though I notice 2 typos. :roll:
<desc>Uses excess energy from FTL engine outbursts *to* shield your ship from certain weapons. Indicates you command a*n* official Zoltan ship; enabling diplomatic solutions.</desc>
I'm also really glad you say what each faction can do now. :D

Sleeper Service wrote:There are no animated vanilla missiles. All the variants with different frames for engine trails are from the original diversity mod and they never worked as intended. You can easily test this by changing a swarm launcher to MISSILES type. Their projectiles will no longer animate (and they also will be flipped, but that is another thing...)

Ahh, I see. Well then by all means leave them as lasers. I like the animations. ;)

Russian Rockman wrote:For the Shield Drones it is very unfortunate that you couldn't use your images. I was thinking that you could instead make them distraction drones with their own personal shield. They could just absorb (or "reflect") fire from the enemy and keep your other drones safe. I noticed though that the images actual work for at least the display in the store and ship menu. I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe you could give try the different varieties of AP drones their own image even if they don't show up in battle? Also, I personally wouldn't mind if you gave the Overcharge+ a different image even if it doesn't show up in battle.

I'd really like to get your opinion on this. I really like your shield drone images do I was thinking that one "or both" of them could be "distraction drones" with a personal Z-Shields. They would be able to dodge/"reflect" all incoming fire from Anti-Drones. Or at least you could use the images for them to distinguish the Overcharge and Overcharge+. I personally wouldn't care if they showed up different when deployed in battle...
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 am

Russian Rockman wrote:I'd really like to get your opinion on this. I really like your shield drone images do I was thinking that one "or both" of them could be "distraction drones" with a personal Z-Shields. They would be able to dodge/"reflect" all incoming fire from Anti-Drones. Or at least you could use the images for them to distinguish the Overcharge and Overcharge+. I personally wouldn't care if they showed up different when deployed in battle...

There already is the Decoy Drone that does exactly that and telegraphs it more clearly by cloaking. The design of the shield drone telegraphs that they do the same as the regular shield overcharge drone. I don't want to force the designs into the game just for the sake of it.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:09 am

Sleeper Service wrote:There already is the Decoy Drone that does exactly that and telegraphs it more clearly by cloaking. The design of the shield drone telegraphs that they do the same as the regular shield overcharge drone. I don't want to force the designs into the game just for the sake of it.

Alright... :( Though, I wont ever stop thinking of a a\way to get them in with some functionality. :twisted:

Hey, did you have to get rid of your unique ranged combat projectiles for each of the different races? I like those too...
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Hey, did you have to get rid of your unique ranged combat projectiles for each of the different races? I like those too...

Yeah, re-adding these is kind of down the line. Gencool agreed to cooperate with CE, so if I end up integrating some of his great crew variants, I'll probably add these again as well.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:49 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:Hey, did you have to get rid of your unique ranged combat projectiles for each of the different races? I like those too...

Yeah, re-adding these is kind of down the line. Gencool agreed to cooperate with CE, so if I end up integrating some of his great crew variants, I'll probably add these again as well.

Is it even possible to do that? I didn't notice anywhere for the projectiles in the "people" images.

Some of Gencool's recolors are pretty cool. And he's done a lot. I like the little details like the extra slug antennae and the slightly beefier Rockmen. I like how his Zoltan's faces seem to glow. Though yours stick to the vanilla skin more than some of his which I also think is important for CE, so you wont be able to use all of his skins. I like the shadows he will do too, I think they could end up better than the outlines vanilla had. Really he has done so much though, he's very talented...

I also asked him if he would be willing to help create some animations for the hangar screen so maybe if he helps with that we can finally add that in... :oops: :roll: