FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Estel

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.102b

Postby Estel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 am

The Captain wrote:"You arrive at the location where your crew member's friend is in hiding. ... in a multiple click* radius." - "klick," but I think you shouldn't put such a limiting distance in, just say something like "within sensor range."

Nah, techno-babble about klick sounds more Sci-Fi ;) We already have too much event texts with "sensor range" phrase in them.

BTW, I loved the star wars'ish (as in original trilogy, nor prequel crap) "enlightened crew member and Zoltan monastery" quest! For a second, I thought that I'm really going to meet my former crew member before eight sector... But, even now, the "we will meet again" thing is good idea! Indeed, I keep wondering what will become of my former crew member.

/Estel
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:09 am

Estel wrote:
The Captain wrote:"You arrive at the location where your crew member's friend is in hiding. ... in a multiple click* radius." - "klick," but I think you shouldn't put such a limiting distance in, just say something like "within sensor range."

Nah, techno-babble about klick sounds more Sci-Fi ;) We already have too much event texts with "sensor range" phrase in them. ...

Sorry, but "klick" comes from military slang of the Vietnam War. To me it's not sci fi at all. And "multiple-klick radius" just does not convey astronomical distances: it's like saying you don't detect anything between you and your hand in front of your face.

Low Earth orbit is 160-2000 km. 1 AU is about 149,597,871 km. Pluto's average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU. And we're still only talking within our solar system. Are you beginning to grasp just how small a klick is?
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 am

Well, it's gotta be fairly close if it doesn't require any jump to navigate.
DragonMaster2962

Postby DragonMaster2962 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

DragonMaster2962 wrote:every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?

Yes. It is the only way to damage encased systems AFAIK (and of course only on shield system).
DragonMaster2962

Postby DragonMaster2962 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:
DragonMaster2962 wrote:every time i've tried the internal effector on a enemy's shields it hasn't worked, and i doubt its cause they all have level 1.5 (3) and 2.5 (5) shields, also when a heavy ion hits a shield layer, it damages the system, would this damage encased systems?

Yes. It is the only way to damage encased systems AFAIK (and of course only on shield system).

thou what about the internal effector not working on shields?

Edit : Nvm i gusse i got unlucky cause it works now..
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Sensors lvl 3 can help a lot deciding what to effectorize. Later enemies frequently have buffer bars in shields.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 am

The Captain wrote:
Estel wrote:Sorry, but "klick" comes from military slang of the Vietnam War. To me it's not sci fi at all. And "multiple-klick radius" just does not convey astronomical distances: it's like saying you don't detect anything between you and your hand in front of your face.

Low Earth orbit is 160-2000 km. 1 AU is about 149,597,871 km. Pluto's average distance from the sun is 39.5 AU. And we're still only talking within our solar system. Are you beginning to grasp just how small a klick is?

Agreed, I've sorted my facts, thanks (BTW, "klick" was used in European military slang at least 20 years before Vietnam war). Klick is 1000 meters, so "multiple-klick" radius mean radius of few kilometers - indeed it sound too short for a space vessel, even on today's real-world conventional engines, leaving fictional impulse-engines of FTL aside.

Cheers,
/Estel
spudcosmic

Postby spudcosmic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:34 am

Estel wrote:BTW, I loved the star wars'ish (as in original trilogy, nor prequel crap) "enlightened crew member and Zoltan monastery" quest! For a second, I thought that I'm really going to meet my former crew member before eight sector... But, even now, the "we will meet again" thing is good idea! Indeed, I keep wondering what will become of my former crew member.

/Estel

I wonder how events like this will work with AE's clone bay system. I'm pretty sure that this event, and others like it, "kills" the crew member to remove them, and I'm fairly certain that the clone bay will revive them after the event, despite the fact that they didn't really die. Nothing is certain yet, but it might make these events seems a little bit weird, but it shouldn't be a major issue.

Also, I'm wondering what use burst scatter lasers have, because to me they just seem like downgraded burst lasers. Not that anything is wrong with increasing the weapon diversity, but I feel as if they need something special about them to set them apart, so I thought of four different possible changes.
1: Reduce the power on the burst scatter II by one, making it an energy efficient way to get tons of lasers flying
everywhere
2: Give the BSI and the BSII both one more shot per charge, giving them both an edge over the normal burst lasers
3: Give burst scatter shots one shield piercing, because the multiple low energy shots easily pass though weak shields.

I hope you consider one of these ideas, because it would be pretty frightening when you see an enemy pull out a burst scatter too, rather than just laugh because of how weak it is.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:50 am

Burst scatter lasers are already more energy-efficient than normal burst (especially the frightening 4-shot burst, that can be meet in sector 2 already, if not earlier), but I agree that they could get something "more". Piercing 1 shield seems like good idea, as they're totally unable to damage systems (as opposed to rocket swarms, which have system damage only reduced).