FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.1

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Nah, all the hazards that have images are implemented, the third one you pointed to was added long ago. That was mentioned in the changelog, but it's pretty rare to come across it. Look at the edges of space. ;) Now that you say it, Rock sectors could indeed be another place to rarely spawn that hazard. Considered. I like how the different hazards contribute to set sector types apart. They start to feel more like different regions of space. The hazards also imply that the factions like to settle near in certain galactic environments.

Mr. Mister wrote:Took a look at the background folder, and seems like the one starting with A has the nebula warning symbol in it as well, which I would think is added automatically by the game, unless they're not really nebula beacons. If it isn't added by the game (I honestly can't remember), then it's a bit strange that none of the other nebula-resemblant hazards' backgrounds have that symbol.

None of the nebula type hazard happen in conjunction with an actual nebula hazard, so the game does not add any signs there. I added the sign for sign for this hazard cause it can be found within regular vanilla nebula. Didn't think much about it. Could be also added to the all the other nebula type hazards I guess.

Mr. Mister wrote:Also, does that mean that you updated the CE-music addon or not?

Nope, I didn’t.

Mr. Mister wrote:Sleepy, I believe I need not tell you that the second background for the A hazard is... not that great, it looks like the source is of lower resolution. The first one is a bit nonsensical too, but it's okay because it's pretty and cool. I believe you were going for something like this? (click to go to the DEviantart page with a higher-res version).

@: This all looks great, but is it free to use? I'm reluctant to just take peoples art unless it's clearly creative commons stuff or stated that it is free to use. Compared to FTL actual backgrounds the stuff I took still holds up I'd say. *shrug* I'm willing to renovate that backgrounds if there is some good free to use stuff.

Estel wrote:Sleepy, out of curiosity - haven't you had some proposition from FTL creators to take professional part in designing some aspects of AE? I guess something lime 70% of interest in FTL comes from CE nowadays, it's quite like zDay for Arma.

:D I wouldn't say no to that, but let's be serious: I'm neither a coder nor a real graphic artist and xml editing is kind of the lowest level of FTLs design process. And I agree with Mr. Mister that CE does not reach the majority of FTL player anyway. This is clearly not a mod for the masses, which I'm totally fine with. FTL is Justin and Matthews game, I doubt they actually require any help that they couldn't get from people way more professional than me. I would also assume that AE will demonstrate how much more you can actually do with the engine if you have control over the code, something I know absolutely nothing about. On a sidenote: For fun, I did apply as xml editor for Rimworld some time ago. Tynan was quite impressed by CE, but primary needs people that can code. Still an interesting game he is making there...
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Guess it might be a matter of asking... the only one under Creative Commons ( http://www.deviantart.com/digitalart/pa ... commons%22 ) worth using is Fuer Star.
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 am

Sleeper Service wrote: :D I wouldn't say no to that, but let's be serious: I'm neither a coder nor a real graphic artist and xml editing is kind of the lowest level of FTLs design process. And I agree with Mr. Mister that CE does not reach the majority of FTL player anyway. This is clearly not a mod for the masses, which I'm totally fine with. FTL is Justin and Matthews game, I doubt they actually require any help that they couldn't get from people way more professional than me.

The 100% of people that I know and 70% of people that I heard about started FTL with CE since day 1. Those who didn't, switched to it after some time and getting familiar with the basics. While it may be subjective, considering Impact the Let's Play have, you may be underestimating the [strike]power of the dark side[/strike] influence your mod have. I'm pretty sure that less than 1% of people using it actually read this thread, and less than 10% of those reading actually post something. Heck, even your own problems with CE hitting bandwidth limit on every free server you have tried, tell something.

As for my question about FLT authors contacting you - I'm aware that you can't code, I was rather thinking about designing gameplay. The fact that xml editing is so limited speaks even better about the ultra-awesome things you have achieved with CE. I can imagine, that if you would be teamed with someone who could implement your ideas at code side (and have access to said code as FTL - sadly - isn't based on "pay once" FOSS mode) it would be even better ;)

This all, of course, is said with complete respect for Justin and Matthews, who seem like really nice guys and indie devs. I was quite skeptical at beginning (due to no plans of releasing vanilla FTL source code - i'm rather used to Indie dev models used by, for example, Introversion Software, where source code of every game they make is released some time after creating game - and it doesn't seem to negatively affect their incomes, inf act it's equally the opposite), but after realizing that they're going to release AE free for PC FTL owners, I have all the respect for those guys.

Cheers,
/Estel
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:35 am

And yet I would be glad to pay another $10.00 for the AE update!!! I hope they can continue to release content for FTL well into the future, or even a sequel, but I am looking forward to see if what else they do as well. I would like to see more games using FTL's style. But space themed games from them would be nice because there are actually not too many good ones.

About Captains Edition now...
Just Wow! That is a really impressive list of changes. I don't understand how you can spend so much time to improve this mod. Your devotion to the mod, FTL, and all of us is amazing and inspiring. Thank you Sleeper!!!! :D

And oh my goodness, you took some of my suggestions into account. Thanks. When I first joined this forum I didn't think I would actually affect anything... But now I see lets plays and I see people rage at the artillery from the boss and I can proudly say "hey I helped with that". I am the cause of all their suffering. :twisted:

Sleeper Service wrote:None of the nebula type hazard happen in conjunction with an actual nebula hazard, so the game does not add any signs there. I added the sign for sign for this hazard cause it can be found within regular vanilla nebula. Didn't think much about it. Could be also added to the all the other nebula type hazards I guess.

Please Please Please don't. The nebula warning is for nebulas. The "nebula" based events for things like the Industrial Sector are not nebulas, they're giant space smog clouds. That's why you changed the nebula texture for the map to make it all encompassing.

Mr. Mister wrote:I can see the second hazard being appearing in Hazard Sectors - hell, some of their names would make you think so. As per the first hazard though, two more tings: 1-It took me five minutes to realize the symbol was a magnet and not a freakin' smiling chaman (maybe you should leave the magnet only and remove the field lines), and 2-it would look like it would be more appropiate as a Zoltan homeworlds-only event, but I guess that would make it a tad bit too rare.

I don't want to bash your artistic abilities, but I agree with Mr. Mister. Most people will associate a magnet with a horseshoe with little electric signs coming off both ends. The field lines are a little more complicated for our tiny brains compared to the simple pretty snowflake that indicates an ice field...
Last edited by ikeelyou300 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 am

Please Please Please don't. The nebula warning is for nebulas. The "nebula" based events for things like the Industrial Sector are not nebulas, they're giant space smog clouds. That's why you changed the nebula texture for the map to make it all encompassing.

Well, I thought that symbol was to indicate that sensors were offline. ANd don't worry, since the mouse-hover information won't work anyway, nobody will tell you it's a nebula.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 am

Yo sleepy, you could make a nebula-less version of the radiation hazard, exclusove for hazard sectors: jumping into the neutrino blastwave of a nearby nova. If battle-less, you can have the same debry mechanic as in radiation clouds, saying that the wreck is from a ship with worse luck than you+, as it jumped in when the gamma ray blastwave.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:03 pm

You sound all smart and stuff Mr. Mister. :P
Cloudmoon

Postby Cloudmoon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with this version of the mod?

1.099 worked yesterday. Didn't do anything but swap out CE and the new Polish Kit stuff.

Game crashes in hangar when I hit "start".
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm

I noticed that, and I have no idea what caused it, but one punch in the face later and it worked. Updating now.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Changelog:
-One punch to the face.