FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
agigabyte

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.091

Postby agigabyte » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm

Both, and I don't see how you could work around it.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:NICE. Five auto-scout events in a row. Three with non-interceptable missile launchers and at none of them my boarding drone landed in interconnected rooms where it inflicted damage. Died at beacon 8 in sector 1.

Auto probability in nebula was already addressed and will be fixed. As far as I can tell even in vanilla auto probability is higher in nebula. Maybe take the upper route next time?

Kartoffelr wrote:And again a A. Drone-Carrier with 2 Ion + 1 Heavy laser Drone in sector one. :D

Seriously this one just feels like a cheap replacement for a good "so harsh and cold galaxy"-event. This is in no way a fair enemy in sector 1.

As far as I know vanilla can also features Auto enemies that the Basilisk is not completely safe from in sector one. Again, you could have also lowered the probability of this happening by taking the upper route. The heavy effector might have been a questionable investment. Basilisk can do some time without weapons and the scrap might better be spend on some more engine power, I mean you know that you will have to run away some times, so engines might have to be prioritized more.

I guess it's a little cheap to claim that this wouldn’t have had to go bad like this. Everyone can say this right? But the fact remains that there are people that almost always easily make it through sector 1 in CE.

KJ4VOV wrote:Which? There were two different ideas presented. If both then maybe there's a workaround that simply hasn't been thought of yet.

You, both of this concept are beyond of what can be controlled by XML editing.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 pm

The heavy effector might have been a questionable investment.
I didn't pay for it, strictly speaking :lol:

And yes, now i am avoiding nebulas unless i have weapons.

Another tiny oddness: I attacked a fuel station, killed the crew and all i got was 3 fuel and some scrap - that don't feel right. I mean, it is a FUEL STATION. They even offered me more then that before :)

As far as I know vanilla can also features Auto enemies that the Basilisk is not completely safe from in sector one.
I don't remember, but i don't want a sector-1-safe basilik anyway. In CE it just became very weak, because of a) the auto-scout changes and additions and b) the new missiles. Maybe replacing the Light defense drone II with one of these really slow reloading defense drones that can shoot down missile swarms would help.
Nevill

Postby Nevill » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Yesterday I have stumbled upon a ship that had 3 boarding drones running simultanously. I don't remember, but it could have had another drone firing at my ship. I only had 5 crew. 3 breaches, 3 murder machines at 150 (or is in 125?) hp each that can't be put down for good (the ship just launces a new one). Reminds me why I love this game.

I struggled for a while before jumping away. 5 crew could hold them off only for so long before running out of oxygen.

Are such builds supposed to exist? Or is it a bug that allows the ship to launch its drones at you several times if it can power them?
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Since enemies cap their systems at 10 power, a brave guess would be that the worst case scenario would be 5 simultaneous boarding drones. However, note three things:

1-I don't think Sleepy dared put more than four drone slots on any enemy ship.
2-The flagship will only use four drones at a time apatrt from surge (can use more than four through the fight by loading less powerful ones if you damage its drones control).
3-Those 5 boarding drones would be vulnerable to defense drones, as the boosted variant costs three power.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:01 pm

CE does not control which builds exactly spawn. It just adds stuff to lists and increases possibilities. Three boarding drones is pretty much the max that can encountered I think. Note that auto troopships also seriously lack conventional fire-power. This is merely on of many challenge the mod can offer you.

Meanwhile, in vanilla FTL...
Nevill

Postby Nevill » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Heh, I am not complaining. A single jump was enough to disconnect all the drones from Drone Control.

They had started the fight with a single boarding drone, though, and switched to mass boarding when I damaged some of their systems. I was going from 'Ok, standart procedure' to 'What the hell does a second drone do here?' to 'How is that even possible?!!' in a matter of seconds. It left quite a lasting impression - their ship didn't lack in regular weapons either.

It was just sheer unlikelihood of encountering such a build that got me thinking that something was amiss.
Last edited by Nevill on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Nevill wrote:They had started the fight with a single boarding drone, though, and switched to mass boarding when I damaged some of their systems.

You know, that's one situation when it might be useful to launch a system-repair bomb at the enemy, if CE still had them. You should reconsider re-incorporating them sleepy, and maybe warn on their long description not to use them in fully-repaired subsystems.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:Another tiny oddness: I attacked a fuel station, killed the crew and all i got was 3 fuel and some scrap - that don't feel right. I mean, it is a FUEL STATION. They even offered me more then that before :)

It was my first impression too, but answer (and reason) is simple: Balancing.

Normally, you would need to pay scrap for fuel. by attacking them, you *get* fuel *and* scrap, without spending any scrap. Depending on your loadout, it may be totally free (if you used boarders only or laser-based weapons), almost free (drones), or a little more expensive (rockets/bombs). Or anything in between.

Now, if it would give more than 3 fuel for "free", it would be totally unbalanced. Well, maybe 4 could be an option, but frankly, I like current situation better.

Nevill wrote:Heh, I am not complaining. A single jump was enough to disconnect all the drones from Drone Control.

They had started the fight with a single boarding drone, though, and switched to mass boarding when I damaged some of their systems. I was going from 'Ok, standart procedure' to 'What the hell does a second drone do here?' to 'How is that even possible?!!' in a matter of seconds. It left quite a lasting impression

And that is what I totally *love* about CE! It is incredible, that enemy was able to surprise you like that, and force to adapt :) considering your post, I think you sympathize.

/Estel
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm

I agree, I think system repair bombs would be a fun weapon to use, albeit a bit buggy. You can technically cheat with the trade system so the player could regulate themselves with that too. As far as I can tell they only actually upgrade doors and just make the rest of the systems take some more hits.

On another note, I have found repeatedly in my last few runs that I get a TON of free weapons in sectors 1 and 2. It feels like I'm getting way more free stuff in CE than in vanilla. Most if the stuff however, is unusable with the ship I was playing but some of it is usually quite good. I got several high tier weapons. Anyway, so I end up selling off most of the stuff for upgrades and that is how I survive sometimes. I am not sure if this was intentionally changed in the CE events, but I really like this change. CE is hard so selling the weapons doesn't help you to much, but it allows you to use some of the new weapons added in CE first. As someone already noticed the stores don't always contain weapons, but this way it is still possible to obtain a variety of the new weapons added in CE. So my point is if this was intentional, good job, if not, then I think you should focus on creating some more events that give random weapon rewards because it increases our exposure to the new CE weapons.