FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Kartoffelr

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.089b

Postby Kartoffelr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks. These changes looks good.

The new space-spiders blue option with a Bio bomb does not consume a missile :)

mantis in Nebula - there won't be a next time, open fire!

In this Encounters the Targeting Jammer (and other Combat Augs i guess) don't work.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:51 pm

"The Engi crew member expresses "adequate* doubts" concerning the chances of his survival on this mission." - Not sure why "adequate" is used here. If it's supposed to be something lost in Engi-to-Human translation, it works. Otherwise, I'd leave out the quotes and use "some doubts" or "serious doubts," depending on how concerned the Engi is.

"The Engi ... wants to discusses* how to improve the ships** engines." - 1) discuss; 2) ship's

"The Engi is nowhere to be found .... is recharging at* it's** personal chamber***." 1) in; 2) its; 3) quarters (seems more appropriate to a military ship).

"While the FTL drive charges, you skim the virtual bill-board* ..." - billboard.

Next dialog box: "The militia cruise control* double-checks** your ship ID." - 1)is this supposed to be "traffic control" or perhaps "space traffic control"?; 2)double checks.

Arrive at quest: "You arrive at the destination of your costumers*." - :lol: (sorry, funny typo) - customers.

Next box: "... You became friends during the journey,* most of them are ex-Federation..." - insert " as" before "most" (if there's room; if not, replace the comma with semi-colon).
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 pm

I like the oxygen to life support change. There was a mod planned for Gary's Mod that matched the style of FTL, but in first person with a team and they used life support instead of oxygen. The Life Support system was more important because it controlled both temperature and Air. In CE it controls all things that make the environment livable, oxygen, radiation, temperature soon, etc... And it sounds cooler.

Something interesting to note is that the AE appears to have change the medbay icon from a medical cross to two people and the room layout has changed. Maybe that is their version of life support? :?:
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Okay, just made it to the "new" boss.

One tip: Forget any thought about win via boarding crew. Fleet artillery kicks your ass.
Slug Type A, i had full shield, full engine, cloak, a Defense Drone III, a Heavy Ion II but not enough brute firepower to damage more then half of his hull before i died. Stats @5000.

Dude, this is artillery the definition of "overpowered". Every 60 seconds or so 3-5 hits with 3 damage and no way to avoid it.
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:41 pm

ikeelyou300 wrote:Something interesting to note is that the AE appears to have change the medbay icon from a medical cross to two people and the room layout has changed. Maybe that is their version of life support? :?:

Possibly. Also, does anyone know what happened to that GMod-FTl crossover? Did it just vanish or something?

Kartoffelr wrote:Okay, just made it to the "new" boss.

One tip: Forget any thought about win via boarding crew. Fleet artillery kicks your ass.
Slug Type A, i had full shield, full engine, cloak, a Defense Drone III, a Heavy Ion II but not enough brute firepower to damage more then half of his hull before i died. Stats @5000.

Dude, this is artillery the definition of "overpowered". Every 60 seconds or so 3-5 hits with 3 damage and no way to avoid it.

I found pretty quickly that artillery wrecks. At least the game tells you when its coming so you can jump if necessary. I do agree that they should be dodgeable though.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Kartoffelr wrote:Dude, this is artillery the definition of "overpowered". Every 60 seconds or so 3-5 hits with 3 damage and no way to avoid it.

You can avoid it partially: each projectyle can miss like any other (wether they hit or not is decided when they start targeting).

Just don't redirect all power from engines once you've disabled their weapons.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:53 pm

@Mr.Mister
As i said, i had complete upgraded engine and a dodge rate of 55% or so. But every time only 1-2 artillery shots missed and the rest hit.

And the most frustrating thing, i had the 3 flagship gun ports disabled by boarding already (as all know how useless its beam laser is in this state :lol: ). The flagship was just tanking me and let the artillery do the work.

I didn't want to jump because there was nothing to win by fleeing - no repair station near and the boss would do the same cloak-game like before when i would come back.
I will try again tomorrow with a gunship, maybe that will work better.

Also, i noticed today that FTL consumed 1,1 GB RAM in sector 7-8. I can't believe that is supposed to be. Memory leaks maybe?
Estel

Postby Estel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:19 pm

This is where hull repair drones/repair nanobots bombs are really useful :) He tank you - well, you can outtank him even better.

Also, AIUI, destroying his weapon room (standard, not special), stops the artillery. Which makes regular boarding - instead of just killing isolated special-gun manners - something useful, at least.

/Estel
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 pm

There was no weapon room apart from the 4 separated rooms.
You don't want to tell me that disabling the beam laser (the right room) would have stopped the artillery strike, do you? :o :shock:
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:36 pm

I seriously doubt CE can create any thing like memory leaks, as it just changes xml files and not the actual game routines.

Kartoffelr wrote:Okay, just made it to the "new" boss.

Actually you got at last two minutes before the first salvo hits, after that the artillery will indeed pound away on you roughly every 60 seconds. Yes, being hunted by an entire fleet of cruisers makes for kind of an "overpowered" opponent, but IMO that is what FTL is about.

Kartoffelr wrote:And the most frustrating thing, i had the 3 flagship gun ports disabled by boarding already (as all know how useless its beam laser is in this state :lol: ). The flagship was just tanking me and let the artillery do the work.

Well, this boarding tactic has been established among experienced players as a kind of standard way of dealing with the flagship. The whole fight is often criticized for being to static and in the end posing little thread if you know what you are doing. The artillery and the changes in phase III are there to force the player into a more dynamic play style. You can still go for the boarding tactic in phase two of course, also in phase one, if your are ready to take the damage.

The flagship is still much more static than most enemies and you will realize that it is quite beatable. But you will have to adjust to the new challenges it offers.