FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
kivipää

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.084

Postby kivipää » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 am

Almost everything seems to work just fine and dandy, with one exception. One extremely annoying texture bug causes rooms without oxygen to create a dark, transparent square. When multiples stack on top of each other, like with AI ships for example, they create an impenetrable block of black. The weapon targetting cursor also sometimes turns into a black square, but I've been unable to identify the trigger. Potentially hovering over something specific. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 am

CE has made no chances to these images. This is likely to be a bug from another mod.
Tchijf

Postby Tchijf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:52 am

Hey!

I really really like this mod. Fascinating, overwhelming...wow! (ask my girlfriend about what i said the last one hour) ;)

BUT: Perhaps i am just so newbie that it is not possible for me to reach sector 2-3 in your mod or it is really a little bit too hard. The last time i played, i was attacked by an Auto-Terminator (sector 2) and i had to fight vs. 3 Drones with missiles?! WTF? :D (tried in normal AND in easy)

Maybe you could balance the mod a little bit more (i know...much work), but i read several postings like mine in this thread.

Keep up the good work and thank you for this really nice mod!

EDIT: Aahh...just read your comment on the previous page. :-/ ...well..what a pity...but i understand your motivation. I´ll try again.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 am

Estel wrote:anyone thinking about such silly things isn't playing FTL - it is "stats farming", you could as good do some save-scumming.

Well that's just your opinion, man. IMO "challenging" is more then "pray to have a lot of luck".

Estel wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote: Personally, I always play to the death. One could say that each time you restart you basically throw away a chance to gain experience.

This. 99% of times when my ship is blown to pieces, I'm perfectly aware, that there was something I could do better in current circumstances, in that fight, or up to few jumps before.

@Sleeper: I always play to the death after the first 5 or so jumps.

I played several hundred hours vanilla FTL and a lot with CE since i discovered the mod.
There is very little experience gain when you get 3/4 of your hull smashed by a autoscout with no chance whatsoever do defend, avoid or beat it, since it has multiple missile launchers, repairs them as fast as you damage any system with your start weapons (given that you have weapons that work against autoscouts) and after that decide to suicide, so you leave the beacon with zero scaps but a huge repair bill, which you can't pay, because it was the second beacon in sector 1.
Such things can happen, yes. But they tend to happen too often, IMO.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear a different voice then "you die more often, so the mod is getting better". ;)
And apart from my critique, i love this mod. I would not care to post feedback if i wouldn't like it. :)

Another thing:
The encased systems actually can get damaged with the advanced ion weapons. And the enemy crew can't repair them. Is that intentionally?
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 am

Ok look I know we all have our opinions here about what's fun, what's challenging, what's OP etcetera. So here is MY opinion nobody needs to get all offensive now. I love everything added in the CE, I have never complained about drones or swarm missiles or anything being OP. I don't care when I get taken out by a random unlucky encounter and I was one second away from escaping before my pilot room is taken out. I know that is what makes FTL fun and what makes me keep playing it. BUT, I just felt that the drone harbors were a bit too strong for the first sector of the game. That's my opinion and now I'm even reconsidering it. I have just never felt that utterly helpless when playing CE before. I have heard stories before of 3 shield ships in the first sector. It's justified to call that OP. There is a reason they didn't put things like that in the vanilla game. If you don't have the same opinion that's fine, just say so. But you don't need to write a novel about us being wimps.
KJ4VOV

Postby KJ4VOV » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 am

If you're interested Sleeper, I have a game "continue" file on my system that will cause a CTD (crash to desktop) with a runtime error every single time you use it and try to jump to the next sector. 100% repeatable. Only mods in use are CE 1.084 and CE for Player Ships 1.82 (loaded after CE).

The sequence is start the game, select "continue", turn on "autofire", select "jump", choose "next sector", pick the top choice (I forget the sector name), BOOM, crashes right to desktop.

(I've been plagued by these crashes with this version of CE, so started randomly doing a save/quit and copying the file to a safe area, in the hopes of getting one exactly like this, where the crash is reproducible)
Due to the rising cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.
Kartoffelr

Postby Kartoffelr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:32 am

The L.Defense II drone (new Mantis B starting drone) behaves really strange. Enemy (Pirate Blackmarket) uses a slow mine launcher drone plus a 3x missile launcher - the defense drone rotates around but does not shoot at any of the projectiles? :shock:

When minimizing the FTL window and restoring it, i only have a black screen. Game is aparently still running (Music plays+CPU load) but i have to restart FTL and start a new game (since i can't match the save+quit blindly).
This only happens with CE, not with the vanilla game or with Better Planets&Background alone.
I don't minimize to often but i know that this didn't happen in older CE versions . Windows 7 x64, Radeon HD 7900.

dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 am

Kartoffelr wrote:The L.Defense II drone (new Mantis B starting drone) behaves really strange. Enemy (Pirate Blackmarket) uses a slow mine launcher drone plus a 3x missile launcher - the defense drone rotates around but does not shoot at any of the projectiles? :shock:

Did the mine launcher fire before the missile launchers? I think the drone prioritizes projectiles by order of appearance - and it only actually SHOOTS when the first target is at a set distance from the ship. (or the shield ellipse?)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am

KJ4VOV wrote:If you're interested Sleeper, I have a game "continue" file on my system that will cause a CTD

The sequence is start the game, select "continue", turn on "autofire", select "jump", choose "next sector", pick the top choice (I forget the sector name), BOOM, crashes right to desktop.

The save file is not needed, but it would be great to know the sector name.

Drone carriers and drone harbours are actually in for a small rebalancing. I'm pretty sure that the ominous sector one three shield layer enemies mentioned before have never existed in CE.

ikeelyou300 wrote:Ok look I know we all have our opinions here about what's fun, what's challenging, what's OP etcetera.

I'd say that's a good view on the whole discussion here, as well as on the global one concerning vanilla FTLs difficulty.

However I would adjust the difficulty, there will always be people who would like to have the mod to be easier/harder or argue that certain things are either OP or completely useless. But there is a significant amount of people that beat the game on the broad majority of their runs. This shows that vanilla FTL can get quite "easy" with enough experience, situation awareness and thoughtfulness. And this is also why CE is designed to be harder: so that player have to readjust and learn new things. Just like for vanilla FTL, there are people out there who beat the mod on the broad majority of their runs now, demonstrating that CE is quite doable.
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrashSanders

Postby CrashSanders » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am

Noether doesn't have his great loadout anymore. :< I really enjoyed the two burst ions and two beam lasers.
Last edited by CrashSanders on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.