[SHIP] Corellian Transport

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
LarsenB

[SHIP] Corellian Transport

Postby LarsenB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi everybody!

I've been enjoying the game and all the mods from the community for a while, and i just thought to share a little one i've made for myself.

Without further ado, here's the
Corellian Transport

Download link:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/90846278/Corellian%20Transport.ftl

A fairly straightforward ship... to follow the lore, it's equipped with:
- Good engines and FTL drive, for you smugglers out there ;)
- Ion and laser weapons
- Average sensors

Drones and stealth available at you local shop, but cannot equip a crew teleporter... good defence at start, weapons are strong in the first sectors but need upgrades for shield 2+ opponents; lack of teleporter should keep the ship somewhat balanced, i think.

It replaces the Kestrel-A slot, install with GMM as usual.

Known issues:
- No gibs
- A little aliasing on the ship art (I suck at image editing, any help appreciated!)
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin
speedoflight

Re: [SHIP] Corellian Transport

Postby speedoflight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Not bad at all, maybe more rooms will be great. But u should consider just to call it "Millenium Falcon" and make star wars weapons for it. That will be better ^^

About the antialiasing, depends on the original file, and from here i cant tell u much. But if the original image is lacking of quality in colors / very low resolution, its not a good idea to apply any antialiasing filter, since the image detail will drop even more. Wat the game does is to resize the ship image in-game to a bit higher one, so, u need to be sure the ship image has enough quality, not only in resolution, but in detail. Even if FTL doesnt make use of high resolution graphics, its always a must to use high resolution images to work with em, because any filter u apply or any change on the size / resolution will affect the final quality in-game.. so if a usual ship graphic on FTL could be, for example 500x400, if u use an original ship image of 500x400, the final look will be far worst, u need to give "space" between the original ship image and the final image that the game re-sizes to show in-game.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
LarsenB

Postby LarsenB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

speedoflight wrote:About the antialiasing, depends on the original file, and from here i cant tell u much. But if the original image is lacking of quality in colors / very low resolution, its not a good idea to apply any antialiasing filter, since the image detail will drop even more.

The original image was of decent quality, but the ship layout was drawn over a multi-color background with a shadow applied, so I had to crop & clean up the borders by hand... mostly on the right side, the edges show some gray pixels that are still part of that shadow

Surely there as to be a better way to crop that excluding the shadow, maybe with a mask image, but as i said, i'm not really too skilled with this stuff.
"I am not perfect and neither was my career. In the end tennis is like life, messy."
Marat Safin
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Depends on wat program are u using to cut the edges of the ship. And as u say depends on wat background has the image. If u cant just use the magic wand to select the edges of the ship, u need to do it manually , because the final result will be far better than trying to apply different methods to cut the ship. With manually i mean using the free selection tool in gimp, for example. When u finished then, u can aply a really light antialiasing filter if u want.

If u are able to select the edges of the ship in a consistently way but the problem is that when u cut the ship, u pick a bit color of the background, once u have the entire ship selected, u can just increase the selection (in gimp, -> selection -> grow / shrink) 1 pixel and cut the edges again. In photoshop i think this method is done by making the feathers? bigger. But im not sure since i dont use photoshop.

But as i said, in some cases in where the ship is painted over a multi colored background, or backgrounds with grids painted in it or something like that, its almost better to use the free selection tool. U will waste more time, but that way u make sure that u are cutting the exact ammount of pixels u want.. at the same time, u can apply small difuse or antialiasing filter (in gimp this is done by modifying the difuse or antialiasing bar) so when u make the selection it will not have those hard edges.

Using masks , we are in the same scenario , if the background is not uniform, u will get better results doing it manually. But i am not a masks expert, so i cant tell u too much about doing it with masks.

Sorry for my cute english, is hard to translate so many terms from spanish.. :lol:
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage