[SHIP] The Scarab

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

[SHIP] The Scarab

Postby DryEagle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 am

Greetings!
I hereby proudly present my 3rd ship:

The Scarab
A prototype diplomatic vessel, the Scarab was not designed with heavy fighting in mind - however it is more dangerous than it first appears.

About the ship:
This is a complete ship mod.
- Custom hull graphic
- Custom weapon / drone / augmentations
- Custom shield graphic
- Complete working split-rooms design
- All room graphics specific to the ship (aligned etc)

Notes:
*Special effect: enemy cloaking devices are destroyed at the start of any encounter. There is no hiding from the Scarab! (well, not until they repair them)
- no airlocks. however, fires cannot spread to non-adjacent rooms (unconfirmed, please leave comments), and engis are good at putting them out anyway.
- all systems unlocked at the start.
- no empty rooms. take a hit -> something will need repairing
- double doors for most rooms -> extra protection vs boarding once doors are upgraded (fairly sure about this but will mark it unconfirmed, please leave comments)

In terms of difficulty, in my opinion this ship is a bit harder until you upgrade shields, but once you get more upgrades/weapons/crew it becomes rather easy compared to most of the stock ships. As always, boarding is totally overpowered :D

About the mod:
- replaces the Kestrel-A
- all files/graphics which have been edited use custom names specific to this mod; to make it replace a different ship besides the kestrel, simply change one line in the blueprints append file and everything will still work

This game uses art assets from the original FTL game. Some of them have been heavily modified to suit the style of the ship.

.ftl download link: http://www.2shared.com/file/nbKuP_45/Scarab.html
alternate location: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v688sdzq0 ... Scarab.ftl

Playthroughs:
BrenTenkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLOiGXq37Zo
VanguardOfValor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rzRK_HECog (part 1)
GingerDragon87: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgORI-claSA (part 1)
Last edited by DryEagle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
BrenTenkage

Re: [SHIP] The Scarab

Postby BrenTenkage » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:39 am

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
MrHoody

Postby MrHoody » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Word of warning: This ship renders all cloak systems on player-controlled ships unusable and unrepairable!
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Lovely design. I particularly like the floaty blue wing-bits on the ends. You do a great job kitbashing the stock graphics.

DryEagle wrote:*Special effect: enemy cloaking devices are destroyed at the start of any encounter. There is no hiding from the Scarab! (well, not until they repair them)

What the...
You mean to say an empty blueprint tag breaks the system? (Yes I peeked at the code)
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 pm

How do you make the ship-art so well? Do you have any special programs?
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Kieve wrote:Lovely design. I particularly like the floaty blue wing-bits on the ends. You do a great job kitbashing the stock graphics.

DryEagle wrote:*Special effect: enemy cloaking devices are destroyed at the start of any encounter. There is no hiding from the Scarab! (well, not until they repair them)

What the...
You mean to say an empty blueprint tag breaks the system? (Yes I peeked at the code)

As far as I can tell, yes.
The cloaks on enemy ships are red, but they can be repaired, at least on AI ships - and after repairing, they will cloak again. Haven't seen crewed ships actively try to repair them, but then, with hull breaches and stuff, they were a bit... distracted.

This actually surprised me because I thought the way append works was it would only overwrite the bits you actually change, so I thought it would leave the attributes the same and only change rarity to 0... but I guess it didn't... anyway it's certainly an interesting side effect.

nataryeahbuddy wrote:How do you make the ship-art so well? Do you have any special programs?

I use Paint.net - it's a free graphics editing program similar to gimp/photoshop (well, with less features) etc. I start with stock ingame graphics and do a bunch of splicing, recolouring, etc etc to get the ship hull in the end.
ImageImageImageImage
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

You should make a version of the Robotic Cruiser, I bet you could do it really well. (the one with holo-crew and AI). Great weapons and graphics, the scarab awesome overall.
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks for the feedback ;)
My next project (already about 3/4 done) is much more... well, different. It's taking a concept which someone else touched upon (and dare I say, badly) and cranking it up to twelve. That's one more than eleven. Which is one more than ten. We're talking outside of the box that the box came in... :D
ImageImageImageImage
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am

DryEagle wrote:It's taking a concept which someone else touched upon (and dare I say, badly) and cranking it up to twelve.

He's clearly referring to Sonata artwork. Don't make me look TOO bad ;)
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 am

thashepherd wrote:He's clearly referring to Sonata artwork. Don't make me look TOO bad ;)
Not even a *little* close there ;) and anyways I do things 1 at a time, not a whole total conversion job like some of the more ambitious projects...
ImageImageImageImage